The G. Dana Holt Gazebo
Dixfield Village Green
Built - 1998
Dixfield was originally named Holmantown after its founding father, Jonathan Holman on June 21, 1803. Years later the name was changed to Dixfield after the town's prominent physician who promised to build the first library if the town was named after him, of which it became so. However, the Doctor reneged on his promise and moved out of town only later just mailing the citizens a few dusty boxes of medical books, and in German yet, for the library he never built. The town's name was kept though and the library was built later in 1935 from funds received from Verdurina Ludden, a wealthy benefactor.
Dixfield's relatively new bandstand, built in 1998 and dedicated a year later, was the project of many volunteers building the 18-foot octagonal Classic designed structure that was purchased as a kit and placed on a pre-constructed cement pad. The town decided to finance this bandstand by a cookbook project that raised most of the money with the balance received through donations. The structure was built since the town needed a special place in which to hold various events since other bandstands the town had that were built at the turn-of-the-century, had long been torn down.
The well-constructed and electrically hooked up "gazebo' has been since used extensively during summer concerts and lit up during Christmas time. Its special dedication was held on June 22, 1999 and dedicated in G. Dana Holt's name who was a famous band leader and musician from Dixfield in the early 1900s. Aubrey Kilbreth, one of the original band members, cut the ribbon with balloons then released with "Good Will" messages inside them.
Some importatnt events, other than the dedication ceremonies, have been the Bicentennial Birthday Party for the town on June 21, 2003, the Open Air Market Day celebrations and many concerts and a number of weddings on and near the structure.
The G. Dana Holt Gazebo is located on the Dixfield Village Green and is surrounded by brick walks. An American Liberty Elm was planted near the structure by Charlotte Collins who won it from Elm Institute of New Hampshire. At the beginning of the Green stands the statue of "Bullrock," Dixfield's moose which was erected in memory of a moose of local legend who had wandered into twn from the backside of Dixfield's Sugarloaf Mountain. As this moose approached a rock formation, now known as Bull Rock, he became so enamored with the beauty of the valley below, that he lost his footing and fell over the edge.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Charlotte M. Collins, Secretary/Deputy Treasurer