Upper Common Bandstand
Built - 1976
The central Massachusetts city of Fitchburg had been originally known as Turkey Hills when first settled but later named after John Fitch who did much to secure the incorporation of the town in 1764. The river running through the city was immediately a dominating factor in the early development of textile mills and then the opening of the Boston-Fitchburg stage line stimulated even greater growth increasing even more after the Vermont and Massachusetts railroads laid their tracks through the ever-growing town. From that point on, manufacturing plants of machinery, paper and metal products, fabricated steel, plastics, leather goods and textile plants still are in operation employing many in the area. Fitchburg State College is located in the city being established in 1894.
Fitchburg's bandstand was constructed in 1976 with the help of 7th, 8th, and 9th grade students of Project Term which was a bi-centennial project sponsored by the city's Bicentennial Committee. The best location for the structure was decided to be in the west end of the city on the Upper Common. The financing of the bandstand project waas totally by the city and dedicated during our nation's bi-centennial. Also, a plaque was placed next to the structure to mark the spot where Calvin Coolidge visited the Upper Common on November 12, 1928.
This bandstand is the second on in Fitchburg's history the first being erected on the same spot in 1880 and demolished in 1976 to make room for this new one. There is another bandstand "rotunda" in nearby Coggshall Park which is often used also. The Fitchburg Band calls this bandstand their home and performs frequently on it during the warmer months with the concerts and the band being sponsored by local businesses and banks.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Dr. Elizabeth Gardner, Volunteer Researcher
Fitchburg Historical Society