Antonio Gentile Memorial Bandstand
Stage Fort Park
Built - 1986
The historic city of Gloucester is known as the oldest American fishing port serving the world as a harvester of quality seafood since 1623. Gloucester was first named "Le Beauport" by Samuel de Champlain since he realized the beauty of the harbor and scenic rocky shores of the area. Its wonderful coastal setting has been a destination for people who have settled there and of the millions of people who have visited the city due to the spectacular views and natural beauty offered and conveniently located less than one hour from Boston. The city also offers a variety of recreational activities, cultural traditions and even one of the premier art colonies of our country.
Gloucester's beautifully-built bandstand is located in Stage Fort Park which overlooks Gloucester's outer harbor and is the historic site of the city's first settlers in 1623, then known as Fisherman's Field in the 17th century. Dorchestermen - the Dorchester Company who settled the area, used the fields to set up their fishing stages.
The bandstand was built by a Bandstand Committee headed by Gaspar J. Lafata who was the chairman to honor Gloucester High School Bandleader Tony Gentile and "all musicians," and to become "a focal point in bringing people together." The structure was financed by private donations and dedicated to Tony Gentile in a ceremony on June 15, 1986.
This bandstand is the third the city has had with the earliest one built lower down the hill from the park around 1907 and the second one built on the current site around 1940 and destroyed by vandals in the 1980s.
Some of the bands that have played on the large stage of the bandstand have been The Cape Ann Symphony Pops Orchestra, U. S. Army Band of Ft. Devens, U. S. Air Force Band of New England, the Larry Drouin Band and many others.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Mark Cole, Gloucester DPW
Jane Walsh & Sarah Dunlap
Gloucester Archives Committee