Livermore Falls Gazebo
Built - 1990

Livermore Falls was settled in 1770 and originally named Port Royal but changed later when it was incorporated in 1795 and named after Elijah Livermore who was one of the first settlers in the area. The town's county line was established as the midway point running through the Androscoggin River.
In the early part of the 19th century, the town was mostly involved in farming and supplying dairy products as far south as Boston along with fruits from the many orchards in the region. By the late 1800s, Livermore Falls became a bustling mill town thus its history is steeped in the lore of the railroad, paper mills and logging.
The Livermore Falls "gazebo" was built in 1990 on town-owned property and overlooks the Androscoggin River. The structure is the first one on that spot but the town did have another bandstand at another location. The idea for the bandstand was a unified one and mainly would be used to house the Livermore Falls Town Band.
With donations from generous citizens and a lot of volunteer help, the structure became a reality with not many problems in its building although the top roof was too heavy for the posts and angle posts had to be added to the structure for more support and meet safety codes. The cupola is special since a light automatically comes on at night.
The town band is no longer active but the bandstand still holds concerts of local groups and was the finish point in the 1995 bi-centennial road race.

W. Stires, local Historian

No comments: