Dave Grieve Memorial Park Gazebo
Dave Grieve Memorial Park
Built - 1990
In 1759, a small group of residents of nearby Brimfield petitioned the Massachusetts General Court and formed Monson since they saw an abundance of waterpower which later led to the establishment of sawmills, woolen mills, gristmills and factories. There were also many blacksmiths in town along with carriage makers, cider and leather works along with many other different types of industries. Monson granite soon was quarried and exported throughout the Northeast. Many millionairs were created in the town who built their mansions along Main Street once called "Millionaires Mile." Monson Academy was also established in 1804 setting the standard for educational excellence for many years.
Monson had their bandstand financed entireley through donations from over 30 businesses building the structure in 1990 right in the center of town which made sense since they were also developing the plot of land, formerly the Monson Inn, and added a 70-vehicle parking lot. The construction was done by students of the Pathfinder Regional Vocational Technical High School as part of their studies in carpentry and the project was overseen by the Monson Rotary Club. The particular style of the bandstand was chosen as a "Provincial Style" to compliment the surrounding historical buildings in town. To facilitate concerts, one side is raised and open for easy viewing. The project had no immediate problems when it began other than the coordination of the work and of the numerous volunteers and donor organizations.
The new Dave Grieve Memorial Park Gazebo is the first bandstand in Monson's long history and has already been used extensively throughout the 90s and into the new millennium by three to four band concerts every summer including such groups as Radio Ranch (country); Top Hat (variety); Whiskey Hill (country); Freeway (oldies); Glanville Brothers (jazz); and another country group, The Showdown.
Monson's bandstand has been a very welcomed addition to the town and stands as a greeting to all visitors to the town, especially during Christmas time when the structure is strung with lights and is a very pleasant sight to se eupon entering into the town center.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Ronald D. Habel, Past President
Monson Rotary Club