Orange Town Park
Built - 1976
As early as 1735, the area now known as Orange was settled by individuals, who were lineal descendants of the first settlers of Plymouth and vicinity, whereby a compact settlement was established and soon grew in size. Its residents decided to form its own town called Orange which was named after William, Prine of Orange.
From 1780 to around 1840, the town was primarily a farming one then various industries sprung up along the banks of the Millers River. Some of the larger companies included one that produced sewing machines and the town also became the site of the first automobile factory in the United States.
The town of Orange built their bandstand in 1976 which replaced the original one that had been torn down in 1961 after deemed unsafe for use. This new bandstand cost around $10,000 to build and can accomodate a 65-piece band due to its size. It encompases 722 square feet and has cedar clapboards around the base with an asphalt shingle roof. It is heavily constructed so as to withstand great weight. The structure has an octagonal floor surrounded by a wooden railing and wooden posts to support an arched roof.
The Orange Bandstand Committee worked on the American bi-centennial year with great intent originating at the beginning of the year hoping that the funding would come about through industrial and personal contributions for this new and larger bandstand which is similar to the white wooden structure which had graced the park during the first half of the 20th century and is built on the same site as the original one.
The bandstand committee also attempted to recreate the grace and beauty of the original bandstand and provide facilities for a larger band. The new bandstand, once again, enabled the Orange Community Band to return to its Friday evening summer concerts for the citizens and visitors to the town.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Athol Town Historian