Built - 1942
The town of Pittsfield is located in central Vermont with the name chosen because some of the original proprietors of this quiet town had come from Pittsfield, Massachusetts where that town had been named for the British Statesman and 2-time Prime Minister William Pitt. Not only does the town have a New England flavor but it also houses the famous Giorgetti Covered Bridge.
The town's bandstand was built for the enjoyment of its citizens in the mid 1940s after a town band was organized and played to the delight of the townspeople and visitors to the quaint Vermont town until World War 2 arrived which curtailed the entertainment. Their well-built bandstand is hexagon in shape and was the work of carpenters Clifford Knapp, Neil Sulham, Walter Mills and other volunteers. It is unkown how the bandstand was financed.
The bandstand is still a prominent meeting point in the small town and is involved in Old Home Days and during Christmas when it is lit up festively and Santa Clauss pays a visit. The Rochester Town Band, 1st Republic Brass Band and other local bands have played on the structure. Senator Robert Stafford and Governor Thomas Salmon have also made appearances and helped in the dedication of the Liberty Pole erected next to the bandstand.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Eugene Martin, President
Pittsfield Historical Society Inc.