Built - 1937
Sanford, Maine's beginnings came about when in 1661 a lumberman named William Phillips, purchased a large tract of land from indian Chiefs Fluellin and John Rogomock. This parcel of land was initially called "Phillipstown" and remained unsettled until 1739.
Once settlement began, the new town grew rapidly with its name being changed to present day "Sanford" in honor of Peleg Sanford who was the stepson of William Phillips and former four-term Governor for the state of Rhode Island.
Initially, the area became a productive one with twelve sawmills in the area and in the 1860s, the town made a bigger name for itself with the establishment of Goodall Mills which first made only carriage robes and blankets, then railroad car upholstery, carpets, draperies, auto fabrics, armed service uniforms, and men and women's clothing. This brought in many skilled workers in the woolen industry from the New England area and from around the world. The mill closed in 1954 but the area continues to sustain and expand the community's economy.
Sanford's handsome fieldstone bandstand was built in 1937 in the Gowen Memorial Park in memory of Edward Gowen who was a prominent bachelor, who died tragically in 1924 after his wagon was stuck by a trolly car. He composed his will prior to his death and provided for the building of the bandstand which was constructed on a site near his family homestead.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
"Lest We Forget" - Barbara Merrill Fox, author