Stoneham Rotary Centennial Bandstand
Stoneham Town Common
Built - 2005

Known as "Charlestown End" by early American explorers, Stoneham was originally settled by farmers in 1645 then incorporated as a separate town in 1725. Not until the Industrial Revolution did the town see great growth and commerce when the shoemaking industrytook over the town employing many of its residents and local people in the town's 40 shoe manufacturing concerns, tanneries and in a large box factory. The town briefly became the "Detroit of the East" when an auto manufacturing business opened up also but was short-lived after a fire destroyed the plant.
Even thoughy Stoneham lies in close proximity to Boston, it still maintains its "small town" feeling and friendliness towards all from its residents and business owners.
The Stoneham Rotary Centennial Bandstand was built between 2004 and 2005 and sits in the newly-renovated Stoneham Town Common. The structure was built by students at the Northeast Metro Tech Vocational School in Wakefield as their school project with all labor being donated. The site preparation and foundation work was done professionally and donated by Stoneham Ford. The structure resembles a "Queen Anne" design by Vixen Hill Mfg Company. The final design work was done by MZO Group from Stoneham with their services donated to the Rotary Club of Stoneham as a gift from the organization to the citizens of Stoneham in celebration of Rotary International's 100th anniversary. The Stoneham Chamber of Commerce sponser the summer's festivities with other special events including "Town Day," Christmas tree lighting, High School graduation and weddings.
Robert H. Skelley, Manager
Stoneham Rotary Bandstand Project
Treasurer and Sergeant-At-Arms, Rotary Club

No comments: