Built - c. 1930
The Connecticut town of Thomaston still is able to maintain a classic small New England town's charm. Its most notable resident was a clockmaker named Seth Thomas who in 1813 came to this town, then known as Plymouth Hollow, to settle and build his world famous clocks. By 1856, labels adorned his works with "Thomas Town" and the town changed its name in his honor around 1875 after its separation from Plymouth was confirmed by the state legislature. Thomas Town was soon shortened to Thomaston. Mr. Thomas was also involved in the routing of the Naugatuck Railroad through the town which linked it to the brass center of Waterbury.
Thomaston's magnificent bandstand was built in the 1930s in Kenea Park which is in the center of town. It is the 2nd structure the town has had with the first one erected before 1902. It was built and financed by the town for public performances and is a landmark for the town with the Saturday after Thanksgiving being lit up to welcome visitors to the town. No other information is available on the structure.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Joseph Wassong Jr. Curator
Thomaston Historical Society