Watertown Bicentennial Permanent
Built - 1980
Watertown was first settled in 1701 and was originally known as Wooster-Westbury and later incorporated in 1780. The town was famous, in its early days, for its breed of 'Connecticut Red' oxen and General Humphrey's Merino sheep. The Hernerway Silk Company has been making silk thread since 1859 there also. The town is also know as the birthplace of Nathaniel Wheeler who was one of the pioneers of the sewing machine.
The town's bandstand was built on the former Town Hall Hill, later renamed Veterans Way, by contractor John Cook in 1980 as a permanent memorial for the town's bicentennial that year. Funding of the structure was made possible by contributions and monies realized from various shows, performances, etc. and dedicated on May 26, 1980 at the end of the town's Bicentennial Parade. Along with concerts, the bandstand is a venue for weddings and used for ceremonies after the annual Memorial Day Parade and for other community functions.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Florence Crowell, Archivist
Watertown Historical Society Museum