Wolfeboro Community Bandstand
Built - 1995
The town of Wolfeboro has the distinction of being known as "The Oldest Summer Resort in America." It all began when over 200 years ago the state's colonial Governor John Wentworth built his summer home on the shores of what is now called Lake Wentworth. In a letter to a friend describing the area, Lady Frances Wentworth stated "Wolfeborough is the place to recover appetites and teach people to relish anything that is set before them..." In 1895, the town was undoubtedly named in honor of General Wolfe who was alive during colonial times.
The Wolfeboro Community Bandstand came into existence through the efforts of Douglas Cady who was a musician who felt that Wolfeboro should have a good bandstand of its own. In the fall of 1994, he was able to get the backing of the town's selectmen for permission to erect a bandstand in Cate Park on the village waterfront and help him raise the money from private donations to build it. He then founded the Friends of the Wolfeboro Community Bandstand, a non-profit group and began to develop a design for the perfect bandstand with help from Visions of Derry, a construction firm that makes a specialty of bandstands. Mr. Cady was able to solicit over 200 donations. Construction then began in the spring of 1995 and was completed at the end of June which was just in time for the dedication and inaugural concert during the town's 4th of July celebration.
The bandstand is a very well-built octagonal structure ornamented by paneled posts, sawn brackets, decorative railings and cornice. Since its inception, the bandstand has hosted well attended concerts every Saturday evening during the summer months which is always enjoyed by all along with the beautiful scenic view of Lake Winnipesaukee on Wolfeboro Bay.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
David Ruell, President
Ashland NH Historical Society