Built - 1986
The town of Boylston is a small and rural community located in central Massachusetts that was settled in 1722 and incorporated in 1786. It remained an agricultural community until the mid 1950s and now is mainly a haven for commuters who enjoy returning back home at the end of a long day of work in the cities and find peace and solace in their town.
The town is loaded with natural beauty from the peaceful waters of the Wachusett Reservoir to its lovely Town Common dominated by a typical New England church with well kept 18th and 19th century homes.
Boylston is proud of its history and its having sent many young men and women to fight for their country and is the site of the greatest temperance orator of the 19th century, John B. Gough.
Boylston celebrated its bi-centennial with many community activities with the major one being the building of the town's Bicentennial Bandstand built in 1986. The bandstand is located on the town common area and was built by about 20 volunteers from the town after the plans were drawn up by Ray Duffy who dedicated the bandstand during the summer and who did so in honor of Robert P. Barney Goulet who was a "patriot, historian, public official, firefighter, EMT, community leader, and a very dedicated volunteer and "friend" of the town."
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Paula Peterson, Asst Library Director