Theodore G. Murray Memorial Bandstand
Burlington Town Common
Built - 1973
Burlington was first settled in 1641 and incorporated in 1799. The town is now a suburban industrial town with its past history almost entirely agricultural selling hops and rye to Boston and supplementing that income with small shoe-making shops. However, as soon as Rte #128 was built, an enormous expansion of retail and commercial expansion developed with the town then tripling in a 5-year period.
The Theodore G. Murray Memorial Bandstand was built in 1973 on the beautiful sprawling Town Common after some discussion at town meetings about whether such a structure would attract hard rock concerts and "people of the so-called drug culture." The dissenters feared that 'hippies' would invate and trample their lush common area and vandals would have a field day with the bandstand. However, cooler heads prevailed and that the music stand would be a big step in the cultural development of the town.
In July. the bandstand started becoming a reality being designed and constructed by Joseph Visco, an employee of the Burlington Recreation Department along with other staff members. Such construction was made possible by the local Murray family who contributed over $4,000 to the project in honor of their father Theodore G. Murray of which the bandstand was dedicated to his memory in ceremonies on August 11th. Ted Murray is recognized as a true pioneer and was responsiblefor the tremendous buildup of Burlington in residential and commercial areas. He was also the founder and first president of the Burlington Rotary Club as well as the Chamber of Commerce. He had a tremendous love of Burlington and pushed forward development of the one-time farming area even during the depression years and advanced Burlington to its status and stature it enjoys today.
The bandstand was designed to blend in with the existing common area and buildings surrounding the area and was designed to resemble the traditional New England gazebo on the common. The structure was built rounded and is 24 feet in diameter.