Built - 1975
Craftsbury's existence was attributed to Colonel Ebenezer Crafts and 61 associates who were members of a Massachusetts line regiment that had been organized in the American Revolution by Colonel Crafts. In the original charter of the town, the name chosen was Minden in honor of the 1759 defeat of the French forces from England and Germany in the Prussian city of Minden. This event helped to conclude the Seven Years War or better known as the French and Indian Wars in North America.
Crafts soon became caught up in the post-Revolutionary depression and apparently the small Vermont town was one of the few pieces of property he was able to salvage. The town's name soon after was changed from Minden to Craftsbury to honor the Colonel in November of 1790.
The town is now home to over 900 people in this northeastern part of Vermont. Loggers, self-employed workers, farmers and professionals and retirees call this small town in the rolling hills of Vermont, home. Summers are very comfortable and the nearby falls are incredibly colorful. The winters provide a playground for cross country skiers and snowmobilers.
Craftsbury's bandstand was built in the mid 1970s on the north end of Craftsbury Common. This structure replaced one built at around the turn-of-the century and demolished in the late 1950s. The bandstand was built by Craftsbury's own master builder - Harry Sweatt as a public service concept by a well-knon local Roger Easton family and funded by the Village Improvement Society.
Little other information is available on the building of teh bandstand and costs involved but the structure has surely paid dividends over the years with many concerts being performed on-stage along with local favorite "Old Time Fiddlers' Contests," along with banjo contests.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Dave Linck, Craftsbury Historical Society