350th Anniversary Bandstand
Built - 2001
Eastham is located on Cape Cod in southeastern Massachusetts and was settled by the Pilgrims in 1655 and later incorporated under under the name of "Nausett" but was later re-named Eastham. The population of the town is normally 5,000 but swells to 20,000 during the summer months. It is a beautiful bayside community with ocean beaches and miles of bicycle and walking paths. Within the town is a very historic schoolhouse built in 1869 along with the Cape's oldest wind-driven windmill.
Lighthouses have always been an integral part of Cape Cod history and Eastham is the home of the famous Nausett Light Station which was built in 1838. The lighthouse was originally 800 feet closer to the cliff edge but was moved back away from harm from coastal erosion.
Eastham's bandstand is located in Windmill Green where the windmill is located as was built in 2001 to commemmorate the town's 350th anniversary. It is of a colonial style to match the prized windmill on the Green and is the town's first in its long history.
The structure was built by the Cape Associates of Builders in North Eastham from donations from the citizens of the town who each bought a granite "brick' inscribed with their name which was laid in front of the bandstand to form an apron.
On inauguration day, a concert was held by the Lower Cape Concert Band on Saturday, September 1st, 2001. The band regularly still performs on the structure every Monday starting at 7PM through the summer months and is a favorite by the crowds in attendance. Another special event is the Windmill Weekend which is an annual family party event each summer.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Non Aitchison, Chairman
Visitors Services Board