The Hampton Gazebo
Hampton Center
Built - 2001

For most of its 360+ year history, the town of Hampton has primarily been a rural community with Hampton Beach frequented by fishermen only up until World War 2 when a housing boom brought a significant growth to the town and the beach itself. The beach has been a popular summer draw for more than a hundred years attracting hundreds of thousands of people from all over northern New England and eastern Canada. Many hotels and other beach attractions are now long gone mostly being destroyed by fire and today's Hampton Beach bears little resemblance although still a popular spot to vacation or spend a quiet day on the beach and boulevard.
Hampton's town center is still recognizable from one hundred years ago although the areas near Route 1 have undergone major changes although still mainly residential.
Hampton's first bandstand was built in 1925 on Depot Square which is now named Marelli Park. It was an open 8-sided structure with rails and an opening. The town of Hampton raised funds to build it, led by Chester Marston, town offical and long-time barber. Dedicated by the B&M RR and Town of Hampton, the Hampton Academy Band and Hampton Beach Band frequented the bandstand. It was then moved to Tuck Athletic Field in the 1960s and was used for fall concerts but fell into disrepair and was hauled to the town dump.
The current bandstand is a handsome figure and was built in 2001 after the planning for it was in the works for a few years and is located in the center of the town. It is called the "Hampton Gazebo" and has seen little use so far as of this writing but the town expects to have many concerts played from its imposing structure for many years to come.

Bill Teschek, Asst Director
Lane Memorial Library
John M. Holman, Hampton History Volunteer
Lane Memorial Library

No comments: