Built - 2004
The town of Hancock is in Hancock County and was incorporated in February 21, 1828 from portions of the towns of Sullivan, Trenton and Plantation Number 8. It was originally settled in 1794 and named after John Hancock, who was the bold first signer of the Declaration of Independence. The town of Hancock lies on Taunton Bay, an inland extension of Sullivan Harbor. It has outstanding views of Mount Desert Island across Frenchman Bay.
Hancock's relatively new bandstand was built in 2004 on Monument Lot and is the first one the town has had. A Mr. John Tetlow was responsible for having the bandstand built through donations from citizens and area businesses.
The Pierre Monteux Brass Band and the Hancock Grammar School Band have been headliners on the structure which also plays host to ceremonies during Memorial Day and holiday tree lighting as well as the 4th of July brass band concerts.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Stacey Clement, Town Administrator