Haverhill Common Bandstand
Haverhill Corner Common
Built - 1930
Haverhill, New Hampshire for many years was an unsettled wilderness until the early 18th century. This area along the crooked course of the Connecticut River, was known as "Cohos" by the Native American Indians who first settled in the area. For many years the settlement was known as the northern most out-post of Colonial New Hampshire. Not until the French surrendered to the British at Montreal in "The Fall of Montreal" and the British domination of Canada, would settlers feel that the area would be safe to settle in once the French and unfriendly Indians, who sided with the French, were gone. Then this wilderness beckoned those stout and hardy individuals who were bent on improving their lot.
Haverhill's bandstand was built in June of 1930 on the town's common area after the previous one, built in 1911, fell into disrepair. it is believed that homeowner's around the Common donated the money for the bandstand to be built - a simple and not quite square 16' X 18' structure with a hip roof.
The bandstand has served for many years as a community gathering place to enjoy local bands perform which are varied in nature including brass bands, town bands, jazz, blue grass, gospel, rock, folk, etc. The bandstand also plays host to the town's Garden Club events. The Congregational Church sponsors covered dish suppers and concerts on the bandstand during July and August. There are flea markets, Old Home Days, and antique car rallies on and around the bandstand where refreshments are often served from its stage. The Garden Club normally landscapes around the bandstand and provides hanging flowers, flowering shrubs and bulbs.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Marilyn Seminerio, Secretary