Herbert Asa Cole III Bandstand
Built - 1966
In 1633, Edmond Hobart with his family, landed in Charlestown but soon found that existing settlements had no room for them. They left and chose a harbor lying inside the peninsula of Nantasket, called Bare Cove because it looked bare when the tide went out. When the new colony was incorporated in 1635, the name of the new town was changed to Hingham. This town has become quite residential over the years with many beautiful homes still standing and restored that date back to the 18th century.
Hingham's Herbert Asa Cole III Bandstand was built on a large grassy area overlooking the Hingham Harobor and was so named in honor of one of the town's exemplary residents, and former Superintendent of Public Works, in 1966. It is the first bandstand the town has had and was built to be an attractive amenity for thetown by the Hingham Department of Public Works funded through town funds and some donations of material and labor.
The very sturdy bandstand has played host to many band concerts as well as weddings, photo opportunities , parties and small group events.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Betty Tower, Administrative Secretary