Robert L. Simonds Bandstand
Built - 1990
Hinsdale is located alongside the Connecticut River with its topography quite excellent for farmland over the years but has also housed industry as well. The area was first settled before the end of the 17th century with the town suffering early on from Indian assaults and raids. The town was named in honor of Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale who was a respected early settler who built a fort and gristmill in 1742.
The town has long been involved in manufacturing and in a machine shop in 1875, a Mr. George A. Long built a self-propelled steam vehicle of which he received one of the first of our nation's earliest automobile patents.
Hinsdale's bandstand was built in 1976 and sits in Heritage Park being built as a community service project by the Hinsdale Lions Club. The monies for the construction of the structure was in cash with donations of materials to the community. The bandstand was dedicated to Robert Simonds who is deceased and was a "King Lion."
The bandstand has been used often as a venue for concerts and other community events with its biggest headliner to date, as of this writing, being the Larry Chesky Orchestra. The town holds many concerts each year during the summer concert series.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
John D. Smith, Treasurer
Hinsdale Lions Club