Holderness Town Common
Built - 2002
The town of Holderness is located in central New Hampshire in the Lakes Region. In 1751 the town was settled and named after Robert Darcy who was the fourth Earl of Holderness in the United Kingdom. Mr. Darcy was an ambassador to Venice for England and also a Minister at The Hague under King George III. He was a friend to the Colonies and of Governor Winthrop and was opposed to the King's policies towards the Colonies and pursued friendly trade relations between the Colonies and England. Fifteen years later, in 1766, the area now known as Holderness, was granted to a group of New England families, most notably Samuel Livermore, who wanted to create an estate in the area which was similar to that of the English countryside.
Holderness's bandstand was built in the spring of 2002 and is of an Amish style built from a kit purchased from Pennsylvania's Amish country for the Holderness Town Common. It was built by local volunteers from private donations for use as a central gathering spot for the town for their barbeques and concerts by area bands. Not only has the structure been used as a venue for concerts but also for weddings, story hours and Eagle Scout awards ceremonies to date.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Bill Webb, Chairman