Robert O. Broomherd Bandstand
Built - 1955
The town of Marion was first settled by the Pilgrims in 1620 taking over the land from the Wampanoag Tribe and particularly the Sippican who had so named the town that initially. From 1815 to 1890. it was the home for sea captains and sailors in training who made it up through the ranks. There was one sailor for every three captains in Marion during those days with these brave and hearty men sailing everywhere, carrying cotton to Europe, and other cargoes to the Orient and returning with many products from those eastern lands. Many of these men became very wealthy and built magnificent mansions in the town. Marion was also a shipbuilding community at one time and also its citizens were involved in farming and logging.
In May of 1852, Marion became a separate town through the initiative of a powerful man named Colonel Clark who was tired of nearby Mattapoisett and Rochester who tried to create new boundaries which went too far and practically wrote Marion off the map. After they became established, they decided to chose the name of Marion in honor of General Francis Marion, the Revolutionary War hero from South Carolina.
Marion's Robert O. Broomhead Bandstand was originally erected in 1934 and re-built in 1955 after Hurricane Carol demolished it. It is a pavilion-style structure built on the Town Wharf which has a commanding view of the harbor for its venue-goers. It is a pavilion which sound reflects the shell type stand in preference to the old bandstand which stood on that site.
The band pavilion was designed by the firm of Walter M. Gaffney and Associates after competitive bids were also considered and the firm also supervised its construction by S. R. Nickerson, Inc.
The bandstand was ready and in use for the 4th of July band concert in 1955. It is felt that the town has an attractive and acoustically efficient bandstand and the large amount of land surrounding the structure, makes for a wonderful venue.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Michele Bisscinette, Asst Town Clerk