Built - 1994
The city of Marlborough is located just 18 miles west of Boston and was initially settled by several families living in the nearby town of Sudbury in the 1650s. The new town was named after the market town in Wiltshire, England. These new settlers set up their peasceful farming community after a few clashes with the local Native Americans. Soon the town became a favored rest stop on the Boston Post Road where many weary travelers rested at its inns and taverns. One of the most notable visitors in the 18th century was George Washington, who visited the Thayer Tavern soon after his inauguration in 1789.
The first shoe manufacturing business was opened by Sameul Boyd in 1836 who went on to be known as the "Father of the City" who he, and his brother Joseph, turned the quiet town into a major shoe manufacturing center producing boots for Union soldiers as well as footwear for civilians. The town became so well known for its shoes, that their official seal was decorated with a factory, shoe box, and a pair of boots on its official seal after becoming a city in 1890.
The city is also known for having the bell appropriated from the firehouse in Harpers Ferry, where John Brown last battled for the emancipation of the slaves. This bell now hangs in a tower in the town. Also Marlborough is believed to have been the first community in the country to receive a charter for the first streetcar system.
The city's bandstand was built in 1994 on the Meetinghouse Common and is the second one Marlborough has had with the first one in a different location about 100 years prior. Financing of the structure was by donations from the Marlborough Chamber of Commerce. Upon completion of the bandstand it was dedicated to the City and Chamber of Commerce and has since mainly been used for community events and as a venue for parades and other holidays. The most important event to date has been awards of medals given out by Congressman McGovern to WW2 veterans.
When the old high school building was being renovated, there was concern that the bandstand would not be constructed but thankfully it was.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Gary Brown, Chair of Historical Commission