Built - 2000
The town of Naugatuck is located in New Haven County in the southwestern part of the state on the Naugatuck River. It was first settled in 1704 by Samuel Hickox who called the area 'Judd's Meadows" and "South Farms." The name "Naugatuck" was adopted which was an Algonquin Indian word meaning "One Large Tree" in reference to a landmark tree at Salem Parish and Bridge.
Abundant waterpower led to an early transition from farming to manufacturing of rubber products after a factory was established in the area by the well-known Charles Goodyear in 1843. Mr. Goodyear was later best known to be the one who perfected the vulcanization process of rubber. Since that time, the town has become very diversified including the production of chemicals, plastics, metals, machinery, clocks and watches and instruments.
Naugatuck's bandstand was erected on the Town Green during the summer of 2000 by Klotter Farms of Ellington, Connecticut as a gift to the community by the Naugatuck Garden Club. This new bandstand was the second one the town has had with the first one being smaller and deteriorating then moved to the golf course.
Financing was done by the Garden Club by their fund raisers and handicraft Christmas boutiques which was whole-heartedly supported by the community, mayor and town board.
A small ceremony took place on the bandstand prior to the annual summer concert series held on The Green which involved various area groups during July and August. The bandstand has also played host to the town's Annual Fall Festival, church fairs and weddings. During the summer of 2001, on the bandstand's first anniversary, a special ecumenical service was held in homage to the New York Twin Towers' tragedy. Also special Memorial Day dignitaries have appeared on the bandstand including the Governor of the state.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Janice McCollum, past President
Naugatuck Garden Club &
Co-chairman of Ways & Means (boutiques)