NORTH HAVEN CT
North Haven Town Green
Built - 1970
North Haven started out as part of the town of New Haven but became a separate town in October of 1781. Soon after, the first brickyard in the United States was established when Theophilus Eaton found clay on his property on the west side of the Quinnipiac River. From that point on, and well into the 20th century, this played an important role in the development of the town.
North Haven's bandstand was built in 1970 on the North Haven Town Green which is a large open space in the town. The Green is also known as Pierpont Park named after the donator of the land in 1714, the Reverend James Pierpont of New Haven. The Colonial Revival-style bandstand was built by the town of North Haven as part of the "Settlement 70" Tri-centennial celebration in the town which was held on September 27 to October 3, 1970 and paid for by the town and a Connecticut state grant. Electrical outlets were installed which permits the structure to be a focal point for events on the green.
Few bands have played on the bandstand due to its small size so it is mainly used as a viewing or seating area for the annual summer concert series that is performed from a mobile trailer-stage which is normally located around 50 feet away.
The only problems with the building of the bandstand was with the clarification of the ownership of the Town Green between the North Haven Congregational Church and the town. The church had assigned the green to the town after it suffered a disastrous fire in 1911 and the town agreed to upkeep the lot. However, this transfer had not been made legal at the state level. The controversy was ended in 1972 when the church decided on a deed for the property and giving it to the town.
The current bandstand is the second one the town has had with the previous one made of rustic cedar built for the celebration of the end of World War 1 on July 2, 1914. This bandstand fell into disrepair in the 1940s and had to be demolished.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Gloria H. Furnival, Curator
North Haven Historical Society