Built - 1989
The town of Rowley has played an important part in our country's growth. In the year 1642, 40 brave armed men from the town were sent out to disarm Passaconaway "The Great Sachem" of all of the Indian tribes that dwelt in the Valley of Merrimac. Rowley was also noted for supplying the early settlements with finished wool through the first fulling mill, lumber from its mills, and for the building of small vessels during the 1700s. The town is also famous for its export of Ipswich clams and seafood and has a number of residents who wwere scholars and founded new universities. The town is also known to have had a "witch" hung during the height of the witch trials.
Rowley is also endeared to its well-built brick-based bandstand on their Rowley Common which was built in 1989 by Whittier Vocational Tech High School students and teachers after designed by architect George Bradstreet. The bandstand is the first one in Rowley and was built to commemorate the town's 350th anniversary which was held on September 10th, 1989 where a concert was held and townspeople gathered to have a huge group picture taken of them. Funds for the structure were appropriated at town meetings. The beautiful weathervane on top of the structure was donated by George and Doris Bradstreet.
The bandstand has played host to the Shaw Brothers Band and other local bands and is a favorite photo venue during weddings. On occasion, state officials have given speeches on the bandstand after marching in holiday parades.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Joan Lyons, Geneology Clerk