Town Green Pavilion
Southington Town Green
Built - 1987
The town of Southington was first settled in 1698 and called the village of Panthorn. Not until 1779 did the town become incorporated and renamed Southington. And as with many Connecticut towns, it has a very proud and inventive manufacturing history. Micah Ruggus developed the first carriage bolt machine while his partner, Martin Barns, built the first bolt cutting machine. Also the first cement that could harden underwater was developed in the town along with the first advance in tin ware processing and the first breakneck rat trap.
Southington's Town Green Pavilion was built in June of 1987 by the Colchester Wood Buildings Company for the 200th celebration of the town's incorporation. It is a 16' by 16' framed structure with a very large stage area on Southington Green which is an oval-shaped tract of land in the middle of Main Street. The Green itself has possibly the most number of monuments, signs and landscaped flower beds and paths per square feet than any other green in the state.
The structure has had many special concerts and events on its stage or around it including a special prayer meeting on September 11th in memory of the terrorist attacks in 2001.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
R. Egidie, Supt of Parks