Built - 1908
The thriving city of Attleboro is best known as the birthplace of the jewelry industry in New England. The downtown area thus has its share of red brick mill buildings and a long history of jewelry and metal fabrication jobs that still makes it one of the major manufacturing emplyment centers in the state.
Many of Attleboro's families have their roots deep in the city since the sense of community has always been strong and the city still has a unique combination of urban and suburban living and a country-like look without the usual hustle and bustle of city life.
In April of 1901, Hartford A. and Everett S. Capron and their sister, Eliza J. Carpenter became heirs of a large parcel of land from their father Dennis Capron and offered it to the city under the condition that it be named "Capron Park" and that initially the citizens of the city vote $2,000 each year for 15 years for its "care, embellishment and maintenance." Soon after that, wading pools, a bath house, shelters and a casino were built on the property.
In 1908 the citizens of the city decided to also erect a bandstand to compliment the other activities going on in the park and money was raised by popular subscription. The bandstand was built with a very sturdy base of wood, fieldstone and cement. The structure was without a roof until the City of Attleboro, in 1922, decided in its Annual Report that the popularity of the band concerts was so resounding, that the bandstand should have a suitable cover. Four years later in 1926, Mr. Samuel M. Stone, a leading jewelry manufacturer and owner of the Attleboro Manufacturing Company, C. E. Eden Company, M. S. Company and the Marathon Company, as well as the Chairman of the Park Commissioners in Attleboro, responded to the long-standing plea and donated the funds for the bandstand's roof.
Over the years, the bandstand has played host to a multitude of local and national groups and has served Capron Park and the city well. The bandstand was joined in 1957 by the Capron Park Music Shell which was built to honor World War 1 veterans and was used by the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Octave Chorus among others. The shell was condemned in 1974 and later torn down.
Attleboro also housed another bandstand which is believed to have been located near the railroad station and later taken apart to become the porch of a house.
The Capron Park Bandstand has lasted over 100 years now since it was built so sturdily initially with its 7 foot fieldstone and cement piers which graduate in width from 4 1/2 to 3 feet and support square columns which rise to bracketed roof supports. The walls were originally wooden but have been replaced by decorative concrete blocks painted light yellow. The ceiling of the bandstand is wooden and has been painted a sky blue. The hip roof is protected by asphalt shingles.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Kathleen A. Hibbert, Reference Librarian