David S. Lynch Memorial Shell
David S. Lynch Park
Built - 1968
The David S. Lynch Park was named after the owner of a leather manufacturing plant in Beverly who never lived in the 16-acre park itself but wished that his neighbors be able to enjoy this lush and beautiful private park that was owned by the Evans family who were quite wealthy and transformed their estate into one of the finest on the Northshore. This particular tract of land, originally called Woodberry's Point, was used during the Revolutionary War to disrupt British supply lines by means of its seven gun barreries to protect Beverly's important port. Once the Evans family transformed this stronghold into beautiful gardens, they renamed the estate Burgess Point.
During 1909 and 1910 President Taft leased the Stetson cottage from the family and the city then basked in the world's spotlight as important leaders from around the world stayed at the estate. The city soon became known as "The Garden City' and Summer Capital of the United States." Taft signed the Treaty of Beverly here which laid the foundation for future U. S. tariff policies.
After 1910, the Evans family decided against the continuance of leasing the property to President Taft since the Secret Service constantly stopped and questioned the family's guests and intruders started ransacking the property.
Mr. Lynch bequeathed $400,000 to the Lynch Park Board of Trustees to buy and maintain a garden at his death in 1942 with the city naming the park after him in the early forties.
The David S. Lynch Memorial Shell was built in 1968 to serve the public as a place for social gatherings and concerts and is located at the easten edge of the open lawn area which allows its venue goers plenty of space to sit in front of the structure and face the ocean beyond.
The bandshell consists of an angular steel-framed structure which is secured at one end only. The walls are of concrete masonry. The roof is covered with asphalt shingles and the underside metal is painted white as well as the walls on the three sides. The stage is made of concrete and is 1/4 circular and 5 inches above the lawn lined by a series of short shrubs. A small equipment room is attached to the structure where instruments and other items can be easily stored. The bandshell is outfitted with a sound amplifying system and has power and tracking lights for night concerts and performances.
The negatives of the bandshell, however, is that it is poorly situated on the site with the location of it disrupting the general potential opennes of the area with the sound unfortunately directed to the adjacent neighborhood.
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Nancy & Thomas Clark