Essex Village Town Park
Built - 1988
The town of Essex was incorporated in 1852 and originally named Old Saybrook, taken from Saybrook, Connecticut but the name was changed to Essex two years later. The town is very proud of its industries which include boat building and repair, turbine blades, machine parts, novelties, naval lighting equipment, bent wire products and tourism.
Their bandstand was built in 1988 in Essex Village Town Park and is the first one the community has had. The idea of having a bandstand on the common was the Lions Club's idea who planned and financed the project. The bandstand or "gazebo" as they call it, was pre-built and delivered to the site. Various bands play on the bandstand including the "Essex Sailing Masters of 1812."
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY:
Don Malcavin, Essex Town Historian