Helen Paige Shackley Bandstand
West Brookfield Common
Built - 1972
West Brookfield is located about 20 miles west of Worcester and is situated on the historic Boston Post Road. The town was a halfway stop on the stage coach route from Worcester to Springfield. It had the sites of the first white settlement, the Indian villages and is considered to be the mother town of the Quaboag Plantation which was deeded in 1600. It was later incorporated and called Brookfield. The name Quaboag is a Nipmuc Indian name meaning "before the pond" which is Lake Wekabaug in the town.
The town of West Brookfield has a large expanse of land which is designated as West Brookfield Town Common where their beautiful Helen Paige Shackley Bandstand sits on the far end of the common. This magnificent structure was built and dedicated on May 20, 1972 and has been used every year since then for summer concerts and other venues. The bandstand is the first and only one the town has had in its long history.
Thurston Munson was the architect on the bandstand project with Dallas Folk & H. P. Cummings Construction Company as the firm hired to build the structure. The bandstand finances was supported by the Quaboag Park Funds, Helen B. Hawks Fund, and the John G. Shackley and Helen Paige Shackley Funds. The completion of the bandstand brought a stirring dedication on May 20th with concerts and speakers kicking off the summer program.
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY:
Amy Dugas, Member
W. Brookfield Historical Commission